My goals for this semester:
- To gain a broad survey-level understanding of the field of location-aware handheld games, and to create a brief review of this literature
- To differentiate the subtleties between, and to define, Augmented Reality, Hybrid Reality, Mixed Reality, and other related nomenclature
- To learn and be comfortable with the RiverCity Game editor, so I can quickly create and modify “customized” games.
- To figure out how to tie in, without drowning in, Social Computing, Pervasive/Continuous Computing, and other aspects inherent in the type of Augmented Reality gaming we are researching.
- To structure my research (find and understand a theoretical framework) in such a way as to understand and address the importance of place (social and geographic) in learning.
I suspect I have other goals that I just can’t think of right now, and suspect also that some of these will be modified as I learn more.